Research Jigsaw Tool
This protocol helps teams to engage with research that can inform the design of your sprint
Use this tool
- Identify possible research-based approaches
- Connect people with research knowledge to help inform the design of the sprint
- Develop a team culture of reading and analysing research that can inform practice
- Check whether common classroom practice is aligned with what research would be regarded as best practice
In partnership with school or system leadership the sprint leader identifies high value research in the specific learning outcome area. This research could include literature reviews or evidence summaries developed by academics or Depts of Education in addition to research-based books or articles written in the area. The idea is to try and find 3-4 different sources to share with the sprint team (print or video).
Pre-workshop (30 mins)
The sprint leader shares 1-2 sources with each team member (jigsaw). Each team member is asked to read and review the source on behalf of the team and report back on the following:
1. Provide a brief summary of the research (what are the headlines we all need to understand)
2. How might this research inform our sprint design?
Note - this quiet reading can be done as full group during the sprint meeting if team members are unable to read the research beforehand. Additional time would need to be allocated.
Share the knowledge (30 mins)
Each team member reports back and provides a summary of the research and shares what they think it might mean for the sprint design. One option is for each person to share the following:
- Two quotes or parts of the article you feel the team needs to know about to inform the sprint
- One quote or part of the article that challenged your thinking and might challenge the thinking of the team
- Group then discusses
- Repeat for each team member
So what? (5 min)
As a group identify the top 3 strategies or approaches that you want to take from the research and apply in your design. Consider what is ‘doable’ in your context and if it will meet the needs of your unique students.